Wednesday, April 12, 2006

FLUGTAG

Gesundheit!

I am so totally hooked! For those of you not in the know flugtag (which is German for idiots in costumes trying to fly) is a "sport" where you and some equally inebriated friends design a craft which is supposed to fly, and try to fly the farthest off of a pier over water. But wait there is more, your team also needs to come up with costumes and a skit that go along with your craft and judges will judge not only on the distance of your flight but your presentation and costume. You know, it's alot like Ice Prancing only fun to watch!

The event is sponsored by RedBull and apparently they regularly draw 100,000 people at these things. The event is coming to Baltimore I 've got until July 31st to get a sketch of my craft in to be a contestant. I'm not really concerned with it being actually aerodynamic as the longest distance so far is 195' with the average being around 10'. Yes that is correct an avererage distance of 10'. You can literally fall of the ramp and get about 5' so I need something that with some speed can carry me about 5'. I have seen some of the craft and I've gotten some good ideas on what to do and what not to do. Flying wedding cake, not so good. Flying choclate Teddy Bear with wings, good.

Here is a link for you to check out some of the action:

www.redbullflugtagusa.com

Let me know if you have any suggestions, oooh and I am looking for teammates.

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Ann said...

what do you add to your redbull to get inebriated enuf-tag to enter this sport?
ok, ok, i'm thinking, and for sure it seems style/creativity will outweigh any distance measurements.
the SF winner sucked up by going with a (red) bull(toro) theme. cheap.
and for sure you gotta wear teensy speedos.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it appears that Flutag came to Portland 2 years ago, but I missed it. Damn! And, from looking at the pictures, I see it was by the Hawthorne Bridge - just a short walk from our house.
If you need any help with the design, I have a crackerjack group of sixth graders at my school.
But, then this really would have been an ideal Dick Rinehart task - right up his alley, a combination of engineering and theatrics.
Be sure to get your fans to take photos for the family.
Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home